Coffs Harbour City Council engaged Hawkridge Entertainment Services to deliver an Issues and Options Paper for Performing Arts Spaces (Indoor and Outdoor). The study involved reviewing and analysing a variety of outdoor and indoor locations across the Coffs Harbour Local Government Area (LGA) including:
- performing arts venues;
- event spaces;
- conference facilities;
- community spaces; and
- outdoor spaces.
It also included identifying organisations or individuals who may be planning investment in performing arts infrastructure.
The Discussion Paper for the Performing Arts provided an initial report that outlined the interim findings of the consultant team. The document was then put on exhibition and the community provided feedback. Following the period of community consultation, revisions to the document included feedback from the engagement process.
A copy of the interim discussion paper is available here.
The final report provided information and recommendations for both outdoor and indoor performing arts spaces. These will assist Council to:
- Confirm community and stakeholder needs analysis data and research;
- Benchmark examples of the size, purpose and costs of comparable indoor facilities;
- Identify a range of options for potential sites for expansion or redevelopment, including high level construction and operational costs;
- Identify options for public/ private partnerships and other models of infrastructure delivery;
- Benchmark examples of outdoor performing arts venues and options for infrastructure provision;
- Recommend local sites in priority order of suitability for outdoor performing arts spaces and scoping of high-level infrastructure and operational costs.
The Issues and Options Paper for the Performing Arts draft reported on the following:
- The outcome of discussions with stakeholders and the community;
- A review of key documentation;
- The results of the review of cultural spaces in the Coffs Harbour region; including options for discussion/consultation;
- Benchmarking against other LGA’s performing arts infrastructure in regional NSW;
- Review of trends in the design of performing arts infrastructure;
- Recommendations for Council;
- An outline of the next steps for the development of a performing arts venue.