The Bellingen Memorial Hall has been one of the foundational ‘homes’ of the local Bellingen community and its culture. In 1918 and the building opened on Anzac Day 1929 as a memorial to those who served in World War 1. The Hall remains listed by the National Trust of Australia (NSW) on the Trust Register.
In 2018, Council undertook investigations of the condition of the existing facility and operational review to identify opportunities to increase utilisation with key stakeholders. Following the development of a concept design and the successful application to Create NSW’s Regional Cultural Fund, the project was able to commence. In 2021, the venue was closed to allow for preparation works and the construction of the enhanced facility.
Scope of works
The scope of works for the project was as follows:
- the refurbishment of the existing Memorial Hall and associated amenities.
- the extension of Memorial Hall to provide an additional performance space.
- the redevelopment of car parking behind Memorial Hall to increase on the number of carparks currently provided in this area.
The vision of the initiative was to transform the centre from a ‘Memorial Hall’ to a ‘Cultural Arts Hub’, fostering collaboration, community and creativity by:
- Upgrading the existing facility and building new spaces that welcome new and diverse performances, performers, arts and workshops to the Shire.
- Providing a renewed facility that inspires new collaboration and artistic creativity within the community.
- Fostering and nurturing a healthy community culture through supporting various arts and cultural initiatives.
How we help
Hawkridge Entertainment Services provides a range of services for organisations including strategic analysis, feasibility development and business case writing. Some of our recent projects are:
- Report on the economic contribution of Music Venues in NSW
- Coffs Harbour Community and Cultural Facilities Plan 2021-2031
- Business case for the Wollondilly Performing Arts Centre
- Operational review of the Paranaple Convention Centre
We deliver successful outcomes by finding solutions to complex issues. We listen to stakeholders and complete tasks in the timeframes required.
Other similar projects completed by Hawkridge Entertainment Services are available here.