Hawkridge Entertainment Services partnered with WA based Push Management to deliver the Quarry Amphitheatre Strategic & Operational review for the Town of Cambridge.
Founded in 2007, Push Management is based in Western Australia and delivers projects across Australia often in complex stakeholder environments. Their work takes place across local, state and federal government jurisdictions and agencies, as well as with special interest groups. Director, Rick Heath, is a subject matter expert in the arts and culture industry and has a professional management career spanning over 30 years across Australia. Ten years of this career was as Executive Director of the national peak body for arts and entertainment venues, The Australian Performing Arts Centres Association (APACA), rebranded as Performing Arts Connections Australia.
The Quarry Amphitheatre
The Quarry Amphitheatre, nestled in the heart of City Beach, Western Australia, is a remarkable outdoor performance venue that seamlessly blends nature’s grandeur with artistic excellence. Carved into the rugged, natural amphitheatre of Reabold Hill, this iconic venue is renowned for its breathtaking panoramic views of the Indian Ocean and the city skyline. The Quarry offers a unique and enchanting setting for a diverse array of cultural performances, making it a cherished jewel in the cultural tapestry of Western Australia.
Constructed in the early 1980s, the Quarry Amphitheatre has been a hub for cultural celebrations, hosting a wide range of artistic performances, including music concerts, theater productions, dance shows, and more. With its rustic limestone backdrop, lush green surroundings, and a starlit sky as the ceiling, the Quarry provides an unparalleled experience for both artists and audiences. This remarkable venue not only showcases the beauty of Western Australia’s natural landscape but also fosters a deep connection between the arts and the environment, making it a cultural treasure for the region.
The project scope for this Review was detailed by the Town of Cambridge as follows:
- Consider all relevant policy, statutory, standards and other documentation such as the Quarry Amphitheatre Conservation plan;
- General trends including demand and use of outdoor event spaces and a comparison against the current operations of the Quarry Amphitheatre;
- A market comparison of what the Quarry Amphitheatre offers in the outdoor performing arts and event space in the Perth metropolitan area;
- Consider what community benefits arise from the provision of performing arts venues by local government and the Town of Cambridge;
- Engage with key stakeholders and hirers of the venue, including those past and present in order to inform potential options for the venue;
- Review current management practices including financial, operational and asset management of the Quarry Amphitheatre (to be provided by the Town);
- Analyse recent (5 years) revenue and operating costs for the Quarry Amphitheatre (to be provided by the Town);
- Consider opportunities for broader public access to the site;
- Incorporate the findings of the above to provide potential options for consideration by the Council for the optimal future use, management and development possibilities for the Quarry Amphitheatre.
Operational and Strategic Review
The purpose of this project was to review current and previous operations of the Quarry Amphitheatre venue to provide a Strategic and Operational Review and potential options for the future management and sustainability of the venue. Information developed from the Interim Background Report and the Interim Consultation Report provided detailed analysis of internal and external contexts. This research provided a summary of key findings, critical issues, focus areas and primary recommendations to address identified key issues. The Strategic and Operational Review provided a discussion of options in relation to development possibilities, opportunities for broader public access, and future management options.
How we help
Hawkridge Entertainment Services provides a range of services for organisations including strategic analysis, feasibility development and business case writing. Some of our recent projects are:
- Report on the economic contribution of Music Venues in NSW
- Coffs Harbour Community and Cultural Facilities Plan 2021-2031
- Business case for the Wollondilly Performing Arts Centre
- Operational review of the Paranaple Convention Centre
We deliver successful outcomes by finding solutions to complex issues. We listen to stakeholders and complete tasks in the timeframes required.
Other similar projects completed by Hawkridge Entertainment Services are available here.