Blacktown City Council engaged Hawkridge Entertainment Services to investigate the option of including a Flume Pool in the International Centre for Training Excellence (ICTE) project. The report canvassed a range of issues and topics surrounding the development and implementation of a swimming flume. These include the level of sophistication of the flume, build requirements, usage, management etc.
A swimming pool flume is a compact, counter-current pool in which the swimmer must work against the current to maintain position. In high performance sport, the most popular flume Pool is designed to optimise the characterisation of the swim stroke and related technical/performance issues. This includes not only the elements of swimmer technique (above and below the water line) but also aspects such as swim suits and caps. However, it is only useful in the characterisation of straight-line swimming and not key elements such as starts and turns.
Main users of flumes are research institutions who make available the facilities for hire to sporting and other groups. Generally, they are interested in the data collected and dedicated testing facilities for sport.
The report outlines the background and potential inclusion of a swimming flume as part of the ICTE, specifically addressing:
• A review of Flume Pools;
• User groups/potential utilisation – type of athlete/swimming/rowing etc.;
• Likelihood of use/potential attraction in having the equipment;
• Indicative cost;
• Benefits/risks of including swimming flume Pools in ICTE;
• Comments from industry professionals;
• Recommendations; and
• List of those people consulted.
Hawkridge Entertainment Services provides a range of services for organisations including strategic analysis, feasibility development and business case writing. Some of our recent projects are:
- Report on the economic contribution of Music Venues in NSW
- Coffs Harbour Community and Cultural Facilities Plan 2021-2031
- Economic impact of the Alex Theatre, St Kilda
- Analysis of Venue Booking Software for Ryde City Council
We deliver successful outcomes by finding solutions to complex issues. We listen to stakeholders and complete tasks in the timeframes required.
Other similar projects completed by Hawkridge Entertainment Services are available here.