The report outlined the feasibility of establishing a permanent, purpose-built Georges River sporting museum. Tim Long and Frank Howarth OAM reviewed a range of information to formulate the most appropriate response.
More than 70 sporting organisations were targeted during the consultation phase, including key user groups of Hurstville Oval. While the report explored the proposed spaces at Hurstville Oval it also considered other locations such as the Hurstville Civic Precinct. The development of other sporting precincts presents options for consideration of a purpose-built sporting museum.
The report analysed a range of options including future development sites such as the Penshurst Park Sporting Precinct and the Hurstville Civic and Cultural Precinct.
The report presented five operating models for council’s consideration:
- A Minimalist approach – include a display accommodated within the existing Players Pavilion at Hurstville Oval.
- A purpose-built sporting museum similar in size to other Council operated/managed models. Includes the requirement to acquire a collection and create exhibitions from that collection.
- A purpose-built sporting museum with exhibitions based solely on inward loans. The council would not build its own collection, and instead bring in touring exhibitions from other institutions.
- A purpose-built sporting museum with a hybrid model of inward loans and exhibitions. Council would hire travelling exhibitions and utilise other institutions’ collections to create exhibitions. In addition, it would slowly build its own collection of sporting history.
- A digital/virtual museum existing without a physical space.
Hawkridge Entertainment Services provides a range of services for organisations including strategic analysis, feasibility development and business case writing. Some of our recent projects are:
- Report on the economic contribution of Music Venues in NSW
- Coffs Harbour Community and Cultural Facilities Plan 2021-2031
- Economic impact of the Alex Theatre, St Kilda
- Analysis of Venue Booking Software for Ryde City Council
Hawkridge Entertainment Services delivers successful outcomes by finding solutions to complex issues. We listen to stakeholders and complete tasks in the timeframes required.
Other similar projects completed by Hawkridge Entertainment Services are available here.